Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Early Run to Lowe's Garden Center

I was the first customer to set foot into Lowe's this morning at 6:00 am sharp.  I scheduled the pool heater delivery late afternoon and knew I wouldn't have time to pick up a few things later in the day. I bought a 75 foot hose, a nozzle and faucet splitter for the front yard. I also bought six 8-foot stakes and a weedwacker/extra cord.

The hose on the left will be carried to the back yard to water the traditional row garden.
The new pool heater on the left; old one on the right.
I want to do a better job of laying out the tomato plants this year.  I have three or four raised beds available and also the oval bed in front of the bay window.  I hesitate to use the oval space since I grew tomatoes in it last year. But there was no evidence of disease and I am going to take that risk.

I laid out the tomatoes in roughly their location and will get them in the ground within the next few days. The plum tomatoes for canning and salsa will occupy the oval area, two raised beds will be used for heirlooms and indeterminates, another raised bed for semi-determinates ( i.e., Jet Star, Thessaloniki, Celebrity, Marglobe, etc.) and the last one will be for specialty tomatoes (White Wonder, Eva's, etc.). I will also pick and chose which of the extras will find their way into the hoophouse in containers.

This bed will have the long, vining, indeterminant tomatoes, mostly heirlooms. 
Yah!! A bit of rain early this morning and perhaps this afternoon.  No need to water!!  What a time saver!

The only other chore done today was lightly weeding the gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment