Monday, June 29, 2015

Sowing Seeds and Tomato Suckers

Remaining drizzle from yesterday's storm kept me in the hoophouse early this morning.  I sowed Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts, Waltham 29 Broccoli, Arugula Roquette, Cilantro, White Bush Lebanese Squash, Green Arrow Peas and Baby Romaine Lettuce.


The Principe Borghese tomato plants in containers did not look well this weekend and, in fact, I had quarantined them on Sunday. However, after the torrential rain, the leaf roll, in particular, has disappeared and I returned them to their spot near the other container tomatoes. 


I snapped off three suckers from these tomato plants and planted them in a 6-inch pot.  I expect the suckers to wilt over the next few days but, hopefully, they will develop roots to become a clone of their parent plants. My success rate with this method is typically 40 to 50%.  Last year, I ended up with a total of twelve clones and they produced tomatoes in the hoophouse well into November. 



The fennel, collards and parsley in the photos below are doing well in the hoophouse. I had just harvested the parsley a few weeks ago and it's almost time again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment