Saturday, June 6, 2015

Brussel Sprouts and Cabbage Damage

Oh, no!  Animals, likely squirrels, ate all the brussel sprouts and cabbage sometime over the past week. The other brassica bed with broccoli, fortunately, was untouched since its cover was secure.  I quickly took advantage of this bed becoming empty and planted sweet peppers (Sweet Ruby, California Wonder Orange, California Wonder Green, Canary Bell, Purple Bell) and other miscellaneous peppers (Lipstick, Poblano, Jimmy Nardello, Cayenne, Shishito, etc.).

I bagged the leaves in the traditional row garden and piled them on the north side of the large bed near the propane tank.

Into traditional bed #1, I planted pole beans in front of the fence, two hills of zucchini and five hills of yellow summer squash. Six Waltham Butternut Squash was planted at the edge of the bed to grow over the pea stone.

Into traditional bed #2, I pulled the okra which did not fair well with the rain and cold temperatures this past week. In its place, I planted five Waltham Butternut Squash at the edge of the bed.

I threw away (into the compost bin) the lettuce growing in the two small window boxes, the spinach in two large round containers and the spinach in two large rectangular planters. Notes to self: (1) Don't plant as much lettuce in early spring; and (2) Better manage my time to freeze all the spinach in mid to late May (What a lost opportunity, at least three pounds of beautiful spinach, I'm sure!)

Into two large round containers I planted two thai peppers and Tokyo Onions.

I threw away the arugula and spinach in the hoophouse that bolted.

I pinched off the seed heads on the pak choy in the hoophouse and in the raised bed on the south side of the hoophouse.

I pinched the growing tips of the basil in the raised beds on the south side of the hoophouse.

I prepared an Independence Day tomato for my DIL's friend.

The following plants in the hoophouse were thrown away (into the compost bin): Boston Pickling cucumbers (weak), summer squash and zucchini (yellowed/weak), tomatoes (about 60 plants that outgrew containers), peppers (weaklings), some remaining flowers (African Daisies, blanket flowers) and herbs (rosemary and oregano).

No comments:

Post a Comment