Monday, April 27, 2015

Power Tools and More Onions

I always have great fun using my husband's power tools.  Today it was his electric drill.  The bottom of those three Italian containers needed more drainage holes and the drill made easy work of it.  I will seed all three containers with Spinach, Bloomsdale Long Standing. We love spinach fresh in salads, chopped into turkey burgers, sauteed with onions, garlic, hot pepper flakes and lemon, etc.  You can never have enough spinach.


I decided to give onions another go this year, calling the first attempt just a fluke. I suspect using a moisture control potting mix was the problem.

My onion seeds are mostly from 2014 and, since the seeds are viable for only a year or two, I decided to sow most of what was left in the packets.  Following is a list of what was sowed into 8-inch round clear, plastic bakery containers:

Leeks, American Flag
Onions, Red Bull
Onions, Sweet Spanish Yellow Utah Jumbo
Onions, White Lisbon
Onions, Ringmaster
Onions, Red Wethersfield
Onions, Walla Walla
Onions, Evergreen Bunching
Onions, Tokyo Long

The watering of the seedlings in the house takes about over a half hour. Ugh.... Can't wait til they join the other plannts in the greenhouse.  It is much easier and faster to spray them with a hose!!  About half of these seedlings will be moved to the garage tomorrow and then to the hoophouse by next Monday.

I can't go to a garden center and leave without something in my carriage.  Today it was onion starts, Jumbo Sweet Spanish and Walla Walla.  Between the onions I sowed today, today's purchase of starts, and last week's purchase of sets, I've got onions covered!!

Propogating Thornless Blackberries

The blackberry plant purchased for $3.00 from Lowe's last year snapped into three pieces.  There are early buds on each piece.  I cut them up into six to eight inch pieces and placed them into water.  I will leave half in the jar to develop roots and the other half I will place into compost.


No comments:

Post a Comment