Monday, April 20, 2015

Monday, Monday

The first chore of the day was to transplant the Dahlia, Unwin's Dwarf seedlings to various sized pots and 4-and 6-pack containters as well as a 4"x8" container for a total of 40 plants.


The leaves on some of the sweet potato slips have formed crystals much like they did when they were sprouting on the tubers. Still no definitive explanation, but my best guess is that it's the plants' response to being overheated. I can gently rub off some of the crystals to save some leaves.


I also potted up the last two potato sprouts into a single container. The leaves are quite yellow compared to the other slips.  Let's see if they darken up when placed in the bay window shelf with the other ones. I now have a total of 12 slips growing in pots.


I moved away from direct sunlight the potted slips to see if that would prevent the crystals from recurring.


A second seedling in the Columbine McKana container finally emerged.  I nearly threw out the container yesterday as having mostly non-viable seeds.  I will transplant these two seedlings in a few weeks.


Postscript #1 - The leaves of some eggplant and Independence Day tomatoes looked diseased.  I snipped them off the plants.  
Postscript #2 - I moved the fig tree to the bay window to get more light.  Leaves are still very yellow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment