Thursday, April 16, 2015

The Strawberry Beds

Last September I transplanted runners from the June-bearing strawberry plants grown in front of the west-side stockade fence. I was certain these plants were not getting enough sunlight in that location and they would do appreciably better in six raised beds. I transplanted approximately forty runners per bed for a total of 250 plants.

I have not pulled out the mother plants near the fence; I will wait until they produce strawberries in June before making a final decision as to their fate. Most likely they will be given away. I plan to construct four raised beds in that area in which to grow shade-loving plants.

Today the protective leaf mulch was removed from the six raised beds.

This is one of six strawberry raised beds. 
Also, wood chips were taken off the alpine strawberries flanking the brick path to the front door.


Compost Bin Status 

Compost Bin #1 now holds the leaf mold taken off the garlic and strawberry raised beds.  Compost Bin #2 contains compost that should be ready within a few months and Compost Bin #3 is holding a mix of compost and leaves collected this fall.

Postscript #1 - Happy day! Another little Principe Borghese seedling has emerged.  Also there was germination in the container holding Sweet Ruby pepper seeds.
Postscript #2 - The only seedlings that struggled in the sunlight today were the hardy hibiscus. Thank goodness they perked up as soon as I brought them into shade. I'm anxious to mass plant them in the perennial bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment