Sunday, April 5, 2015

Potting Up Slips and My Favorite Flower

The sweet potato slips potted up by my daughter yesterday evening have adjusted to their new home. Two remaining slips with short roots have yet to be potted up. I hope to have thirteen in total.


My favorite perennial flower is potentilla cinquefoil.  The plants have delicate apricot/orange blooms with dark rose centers.  I transplanted thirty seedlings into 8 oz. cups and eight seedlings together into a 3" pot. I am hoping to mass plant them at the far left end of my front yard the perennial bed. 


Six verbena were outpacing their cellmates and becoming spindly.  They received a pinching back of one to two inches. 


The lobelia look much bushier since they were pinched back last week.


 The Salvia Blue Bedder are growing well.


I pinched back the growing tips of a few lavender seedlings.


My concern for the ailing delphiniums has dissipated.  They are looking much better these days.  I snipped off their "baby" leaves.


Pinching off the growing tips of the hibicus was very successful.  You can see in the photo below the many lateral branches that have appeared this past week.  I decided to pinch off the tips of another two seedlings.


I am declaring one container of Rossa di Milano onion seedlings a failure.  The seedlings have been struggling the past ten days, suffering from damping off disease. I am throwing out its potting mix, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment