Friday, February 20, 2015

One Third of an Acre

Our house rests on a third acre.  Aside from asphalt and buildings, the better part of that acreage is cultivated with gardens. Each year I find myself replacing grass with new beds and, consequently, I've reduced the time it takes to mow the lawn by more than half, to less than 45 minutes. That's not to say that I don't enjoy a well-manicured lawn. It's just that I now admire it on someone else's property, without regret.

Making the best use of a sloped back yard
My backyard garden, as my children would say, has evolved into a small farm. Last year I harvested over 1,600 lbs. In year's past I've offered my surplus to co-workers, neighbors, family and friends.  But with so much produce last year I was able to donate to a local food pantry and I'd like to double that amount this year. Another goal is to do a better job freezing, drying and canning for winter use.

Even though I know I should scale down this hobby, the temptation remains to experiment with new structures, try different varieties and improve techniques to battle the inevitable challenges. Each year I hope to begin downsizing but, without fail, my gardens continue to expand rather than contract.

Postscript #1 - I woke up to newly-germinated seeds: Ailsa Craig Onions,  Sweet Spanish Yellow Utah Onions, Shallots, Zaatar Oregano, Greek Oregano, Common Oregano, and Violas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment